Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gluten-Free Goodness: Game Night

In the three years since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease the gluten-free (GF) products on the market have increased in both number and, more importantly, quality. Here are some of my favorites, most of which can be found at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, your local health food store, or, of course, the internet. So, without further ado, I give you proof that even with Celiac Disease, you can enjoy a tasty night of pizza and beer. Hurrah!

My cousin, Logan, first told me about Redbridge about a year ago. I'd been dying to try it, and finally found it at Total Wine in Delaware. (I live in Pennsylvania where the alcohol-buying situation is frustrating at best.) A few months later, something magical happened. I was watching the Red Sox beat the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park, and there, at the beer stall under section 202, I saw bottles of Redbridge in the bottom of the cooler. It was the first time I was able to drink a beer in a ballpark, something I never thought I'd be able to do. I'm a Sox girl through and through, but the Phillies definitely went up a few dozen points in my book that day. I've had a few other GF beers, but Redbridge is hands down my favorite. If you want the full list of GF beers I've tried, just let me know.


I've sampled a number of GF pizzas these past few years, and was always disappointed. Until, that is, I discovered the goodness that is Glutino Spinach and Feta. It's a pizza that actually tastes like -- that's right -- pizza! They have a few other flavors, as well, but I haven't tried them yet. I'm too in love with this one. (I find it in the freezer section at Whole Foods.) Glutino has done an amazing job of creating GF products that don't compromise on taste or texture. They also make awesome pretzels.
I can't buy them and keep them at home anymore because I would eat the whole bag. And that's not good news for anyone.

There are lots of other great GF products out there, and I'll try to post new favorites regularly, but this should at least help get you through a low-key night of a watching a game. Next time, GF free products for birthdays and other celebrations.

No comments: