Saturday, August 15, 2009

My how you've changed, little tastebuds

Hokey/crunchy/granola as it may sound, today has left me in awe of what Mother Earth can do. Don't get me wrong, I love cooking. I love experimenting with flavors and spices and combinations. When I'm in a cheese-eating phase (read: almost all the time), I will seek out prime pecorino or buttery brie. Sometimes I think I could live on truffles alone, save for some food as a vehicle for the taste. Fresh organic veggies -- especially from one of the amazing gardens in my family -- are a treat.

But somehow, despite all that foodie appreciativeness, I've so often overlooked the amazing simple pleasures of pure food. Today, my friends, has been a lesson in appreciation.

This morning...er, afternoon, we met up with a friend to go to an American style diner for brunch. It was, simply put, the bacon test. I resisted. That's right. I, Olivia Lindquist, declined bacon. Bacon in syrup, no less. How? you ask? Because I was too busy savoring my heaping bowl of fruits and veggies. Blackberries, raspberries, honeydew, kiwi, bananas, apples, pineapple, cherry tomatoes, crisp lettuce.

I made a simplified fruit salad later in the day for a hefty snack, and marveled at all the flavors inherent in the fruits. The apple chunks were cold and crisp and sweet, the banana was just firm enough, and sweet without being cloying, and kiwi added the perfect amount of tang. I kept looking at my bowl, almost talking to the fruits to ask: How do you do this, guys! You're awesome! (Don't worry. I didn't talk to my food. I'm not there...yet.)

Now I'm sitting here, chomping on my dinner, feeling pretty darn lucky. I used my new cheapo mandolin, and put together a HUGE salad, all built around my precious avocado, which has been ripening for a few days. The raw zucchini and carrots were sliced to matchstick size, then I added thin slices of raw red cabbage and red pepper, a big handful of sprouts, half an avocado (cubed), and small handful of raisins, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. "Eat the rainbow" is one of my favorite healthy maxims, and I have definitely accomplished that goal today.

There's a giant bag in the fridge for lunch and/or dinner tomorrow, and I'll pair it with some fresh greens and maybe cubed eggplant. I admit, though, I'm still shocked that this is what I want to be eating. I don't feel deprived in the least as MB sits near me, chomping on his leftover fajita. I feel incredibly lucky to have such delicious, nutritious food to feed my body.

No comments: