Monday, September 1, 2008

Blessed

Throughout the weekend, one thought keeps looping through my mind:

I am so blessed.

Last week was a tough one for me. Panic attacks resurfaced, things at work got shuffled a bit, and a very dear family friend passed away. Not surprisingly, I felt wiped out and depleted. What made it even more frustrating was all the great stuff from last week that I could acknowledge intellectually as being wonderful, and there were even moments when my heart skipped a bit, but nothing positive was able to sift down and really take up residence.

My "emergency" acupuncture on Thursday helped reset things, and I haven't felt any panic since, which is a huge relief. Eva was also helpful in pointing out that I need to be easier on myself and let go of my perfectionist attitude, at least a little. On Friday night, I was supposed to go to New York to visit my dearest friend, "Snacks," but felt too overwhelmed to make the short trip. She, being the wonderful soul she is, understood and said I should come up whenever felt right. I was on the train at 7:30 on Saturday morning, feeling fortified after a relaxing night in. But everything kept irritating me more than it should have/would have on any other day.

Bit by bit, though, I was able to let go. And that's when the refrain started to bubble up. For the rest of the weekend, all I could think was how blessed I am. I was able to spend Saturday with a friend I consider a sister and my wonderful, wise, beautiful mother. We ate delicious food, sampled a few sangrias (whoops), and caught up and laughed for hours. We met another great friend, Maggie, for a glass of wine, and after it all, Snacks and I went to surprise another old friend in Brooklyn.

Connecting with these incredible people from all different stages of my life was restorative in a way I wasn't expecting. There was a particular ease that comes from being with people who know who you are at your core. And the agave-nectar-sweetened icing on the gluten free cake? Presents. That's right. I got presents.

Mom treated us to all the amazing food (details in a future post) and some new shoes (yay!). Snacks surprised me with this amazing book I'd been drooling over, by the founders of the restaurant where we had dinner, Pure Food and Wine. I'm not really one to rush out to the latest hot spot, but after reading about it on Kris Carr's blog in July, I've been dying to get over there. I was thrilled with the experience. Maggie handed over her umbrella so I wouldn't get caught in the rain en route to Brooklyn, and when I arrived there, Alison, a friend for over two decades, surprised me with belated birthday presents, including a gorgeous journal.

And that was just one day! On Sunday I got to have brunch with Snacks and my friend Cas, another post-worthy meal. I took it easy again last night, which I needed to do, but I'm finally starting to feel restored and ready for the new week.

1 comment:

DD said...

and we're blessed to have you in our lives!