Monday, September 1, 2008

Go Green for Your Liver

In part of my ongoing saga of trying to make up with my liver and its chi, one action keeps bubbling to surface: go green. With my diet, that is. Last week Eva told me to add lots and lots of leafy greens to my diet; it's helpful for getting the liver chi moving. And, let me tell you, if there's one thing I'd like to do, it's get my liver chi flowing freely. I've been limiting my alcohol and trying to move more (two big pluses for moving that chi), and I've been letting this "stimulate the liver chi" thought roll around in my head as I've been chugging along, eating and reading all manner of things.

Lately I've become increasingly interested in a raw diet. In addition to eating at the raw food mecca, Pure Food and Wine, I've been reading and re-reading my books on raw "cooking." Doesn't hurt that these are all my most sumptuously photographed and written books. Yes, there was a whole team at work to make these books sexy, but there's something about raw food that's just, well, hot. When you eat raw, you're in tune with nature and with your body. Just think of all the exciting ways that impacts your life.

To that end, I've started reading Sarma Melngailis's blog. This post about getting more greens all but whopped me over the head. I already planned to go to the produce stand to get the last few ingredients I need to make her raw lasagna and sangria, and now I'm inspired to add a whole mess of greens to my cart. I think I'm on the right track, because when I woke up this morning, I craved (I kid you not) a big glass of cucumber-celery juice, so I think I'm on the right track, and I think my body's ready to make this commitment.


Maybe this is the recharge I've been looking for. I love her approach -- be kind to yourself, no rules about what not to eat or regimen about what to eat, just eat more of the good stuff. Much more. That, that I can do.

No comments: