Thursday, September 4, 2008

Don't Go It Alone

Before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, there were some days that were, to put it mildly, really tough. At times the pain was so severe I could barely move. Putting on shoes and socks was unbearable, and even just walking down the hall to use the restroom would take me as long as twenty minutes. I had no choice but learn how to ask for help.

Fortunately, I have a very loving and patient family, and, when I went back to school, had very loving and patient roommates. On the worst days, they would help out by running an errand for me, or just bringing me a snack on the couch.

After the diagnosis, I was once again able to maneuver around easily. I didn't need people to do the little things for me in the same way. My inclination was to say to myself, Great, I learned how to ask for help; now I hope I don't have to do it again. Wrong. What I've learned since then is to go ahead and ask for help when I need it -- with the big things and the little things. When I'm reluctant, I remind myself that I would always want to help my friends and family if they gave me the choice; I trust I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Today's been a little rough, and the Diet Cokes we keep in the fridge in my office for guests have been taunting me again. I haven't had one since my first day of work here, but oh how I want one today. Instead of reaching into the fridge, though, I reached out to my friend Maggie, the biggest anti-Diet Coke advocate I know.

Here's what I sent to her:
"There's a whole bunch of them [Diet Cokes] in my fridge at work, and I want one -- BIG TIME. Please tell me not to have one."

And here's what she responded within the hour:
" Do NOT have one.... it is a slippery slope my dear!"

So I resisted. I stepped away from the caffeine and chemicals and got a water. Next time you're tempted to make a decision you know deep down you don't want to make, call on your support network. Even for something as seemingly small as resisting the Diet Coke.

1 comment:

DD said...

I'm so proud of you!!!

Caffeine is a funny thing. You think you need it to get through the day but in reality a good night's sleep, good food, passion for what you do, and a few laughs are all that you need. Caffeine, for me, tends to interrupt my sleep. And it is a substitute for passion because if I'm bored with what I'm doing my body tricks me and makes me think I feel tired (when really I'm bored) and so reach for the caffeine and then tada I'm wide awake and plugging away at my spreadsheets. It just messes up all the associations and fogs up the thinking.

But I do miss the cappuccinos. Maybe I'll slowly reintroduce it into my day. :)