Monday, September 1, 2008

Is Decaf Better?

One of the cool things about this new venture (the holistic health counseling career track) is that friends and family now come to me with all sorts of health/diet related questions. Sometimes I know the answer. Often I don't. Which makes sense -- I haven't gone to school yet, have I? I love the questions, though, because they prompt me to research things I wouldn't otherwise think of. There's one question I was hesitant to look into, however. Snacks asked if decaf coffee is indeed worse for you than caffeinated coffee, due to the chemicals used in the process to extract the caffeine.

After some preliminary research (and if you have articles on the subject, I'd love to read them), my answer is the ever-so-helpful: It depends.

As a general rule, the thought of ingesting chemicals in the guise of food freaks me out. It's what caused me to give up artificial sweeteners and fake food like those weird frozen "yogurts" that are on every corner in New York. That said, if you have a fierce coffee habit, and caffeine has a strong negative impact on how you feel, I think decaf can be a good transitional aide. For me, I think caffeine is worse for my body right now than some chemicals that may or may not remain in the decaf coffee. Here's what the all-knowing Wikipedia had to say about the subject:

Decaffeinated coffee is also regarded as a potential health risk to pregnant women due to the high incidence of chemical solvents used to extract the caffeine. The impact of these chemicals is debated, however, as the solvents in question evaporate at 80–90 °C, and coffee beans are decaffeinated before roasting, which occurs at approximately 200 °C. As such, these chemicals, namely trichloroethane and methylene chloride, are present in trace amounts at most, and may not pose a significant threat to embryos and fetuses.

I'm not pregnant, but I often wonder about all those things pregnant women aren't supposed to eat because of how it will affect the fetus. Doesn't it make sense that those are things that maybe people just shouldn't eat in general? Think about it.

But I digress. I don't think caffeine is unhealthy for most people. Unless you have heart, sleep, anxiety, or blood sugar disorders, it's probably fine for you. Best not to have it, but not likely the first thing most people should address in their diets. If, however, you do suffer when you take caffeine, be aware that there is no national standard of what should be labeled as "decaf" when it comes to brewed coffee. The New York Times did an interesting piece showing that many decaf coffees from the major coffee stops -- Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc. -- do in fact contain caffeine, sometimes as much as a can of Coke.

How is this information going to influence my coffee decisions? I'll probably revert back to the very very occasional decaf coffee, and keep away from the caffeine. It should be easier when the temperature drops, as I'll be craving more tea and less iced coffee. (Though I will always miss the caffeine-saturated Pumpkin Spice brew from Bucks County Coffee.) File this one away under the ever-popular heading of "In Moderation."

No comments: