Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Muscle Head

Yesterday I did something I don't think I'd ever done before.

I went to the gym before work.

Sure, there've been days that I've done some crunches and lunges in the morning, taken a walk. But I can't recall ever being at the gym at 7:30am, setting myself up at the free weights, and pumping out sets. The experience surprised me -- not only did I get up in time to go work out, but I was able to push myself enough so that I feel just the right level of sore this morning. It wasn't my longest workout, or my hardest workout, but it was a good workout.

Cardio isn't my thing. I like running around the city (can't wait to lace up my sneakers when my foot is healed), and I love riding my bike along the river or trails, but slogging away on the machines at the gym bores me. I'll do it when I go, but it's not what I look forward to. Lifting weights, however, is something I actually find fun. Free weights almost exclusively. As someone who likes structure and the ability to monitor progress, I've decided I need to get more deliberate in my lifting in order to stay motivated.

Which is why I want to start keeping workout logs. For now, I suppose I'll just mock something up in Excel, but if you have template you like, or any pointers on a good way to do this, I'd love to hear about it. I also found this workout from Women's Health. It looks like it hits all the major muscle groups, and is certainly an efficient way to get hrough your a.m. routine. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

No comments: