Monday, August 18, 2008

Natural Goodness

My sister is an incredible mother in any number of ways, not the least of which is sharing her love of nature with my niece. Every day, no matter the weather, they spend a little time outside. Bad mood? Go outside. Energetic? Go play outside. Feeling just a little bit off? Go outside and get some fresh air.

This summer, I've taken a cue from my big sis and made a concerted effort to get more outside into my life. Over the weekend I spent some wonderful chunks of time soaking up the gorgeous summer weather. I started with a quiet walk by myself on Saturday morning around my sister's neighborhood.

Here are the Black Eyed Susan's from her garden:


A butterfly in a neighbor's plant:



A busy bee working away:


Which reminds me -- my mom and my sister were talking about bee pollen this weekend, and how it's a superfood. I've only just started to research it, but I'm intrigued. No surprise there, really. If you've tried it, I'd love to hear about it. And if you're curious, check back soon to see what I've learned.

I'm really happy that I've gotten to the point now where my weekend doesn't feel finished without working up a pretty major sweat outside. My brother-in-law came downtown and joined me on a nice long bike ride, including my first non-paved biking. I loved it.

Here's the famous bike:


A little piece of Fairmount Park, right in the heart of Philadelphia:


I know it's not news that exercise, fresh air, a little peace and quiet, and some nature can do wonders for your soul, but this weekend just confirmed that point.

No comments: