Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Wake Up, Sleepyhead

My schedule has been packed lately, and as a result, I haven't been as diligent about some of my health resolutions as I should be. It was OK for a few days, but these past two days I've really started to feel it. Yesterday I hit the snooze button for an hour, and today I could barely get out of bed. This is probably the most I've missed caffeine since I gave it up a few weeks ago.

Rather than dwell on the coffee (YUM) I can't drink, I tried to think of what I would suggest to someone else who was trying to rev up in the morning -- naturally. Then I actually took my advice.

I boiled some water for my morning tea, herbal of course. I've been really loving the Tazo Refresh. The peppermint in it seems to perk me up a bit. Also, for me the ritual of making tea helps me focus, which in turn brings an alertness to my day.

While the water boiled, I paid a visit to what, on my fancy days, I like to call my home gym. It's pretty basic, but it gets the job done. This morning I was wishing I had some ten pound weights, though, so maybe that will be my next splurge. My mom and I have been working to get more strength training into our daily routine, so I tried to channel her this morning. I did barely ten minutes of core and arm work, but it was enough to get my blood pumping. Plus, when I start my day with healthy habits, I really don't want to derail my good work later on.

Then, before I got in the shower, I used one of my new favorite things -- a dry brush. It's amazing. At first I was skeptical. Brush my skin? A little strange, no? But the slightly rough texture of the bristles over your skin really does wake up all your little nerve endings, plus it exfoliates, leaving your skin extra soft. The best part? It jump starts your circulatory and lymphatic systems, which in turn gives your immune system a boost. I'll post soon with a more thorough exploration of the benefits of dry brushing, but for now, I'd encourage you to give it a shot. Wake up naturally, improve the appearance of your skin, and give your immune system a boost? All for a one time fee of approximately $7? (That's what I paid for mine at Whole Foods.) Yes please!
I'm still really craving an ice coffee, but at least I started on a good note. The trick will be to keep fueling myself with nutritious foods throughout the day rather than reaching for something sugary that will just make me crash later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I absolutely can NOT support the idea of no coffee, I am willing to give this dry brushing idea a try... no coffee though? Not in a million years. I will tell you that in no small part to all the acupuncture info from you my fella and I now discuss it all the time. I think we might actually try it soon too!