Thursday, August 14, 2008

Eating Overhaul

I don't diet. I can't. It doesn't make sense to me, and trying to lose weight is never, ever enough motivation for me. I tried one once, and it lasted two hours. Then I ate some chips. If, however, I have to overhaul my diet to improve my health, then I can become a dedicated little eater.

My first experience with a radical diet change came a few months after my 21st birthday when I found out I have Celiac Disease. I couldn't imagine a life without beer, bagels, and my dad's amazing pappardelle with wild boar. Over the years I've discovered a number of great gluten-free alternatives, and the whole experience has made me particularly receptive to the idea of changing my diet to change my health.

Shortly after the Celiac Disease diagnosis, I found out I also had candida in my system, and was put on a yeast-free diet. This does not mean "don't eat yeast." It means "don't eat anything that could feed the yeast." And what feeds yeast? Sugar. Alcohol. Vinegar (which happens to be in just about every condiment made). Fermented foods, like cheese. To starve the yeast, the diet has to be adhered to 100% over a prolonged period. It was tough to start my senior of college on such a strict diet, but it seemed to do the trick. After four months I could, in moderation, add the other foods to my diet.

I've mentioned the elimination diet that I'm currently trying, but haven't explained it here much yet. When a family friend found out how sick I'd been, she suggested I get in touch with Debra Lermitte, who runs a company called HealThy Self. (I love the name.) She's fine tuning an elimination diet called FareWell, and it's been a great tool for getting to know my body better. What I really love about the program is that there's a support group component. Debra's always available for a pep talk or to answer a question, and the group of participants doing the diet (there's about six of us in my session, including fellow "Holistic Health Junkie", Jen) meets roughly once a week to trade recipes, share progress, and encourage each other.

The basic premise of the FareWell Diet is to strip all the major triggers from your diet for two weeks to get it to a clean, recharged state. After two weeks of mostly fruits and vegetables, everyone was feeling pretty good. We all reported we'd lost weight, had more energy, had clearer skin. (Caveat: the first week was tough as many of us went through withdrawal from sugar, caffeine, etc.) Once the two weeks were over, the reintroductions started, with a new "trigger food" introduced every three days. The goal is to listen to your body and discover sensitivities you weren't previously aware of.

To help us along, Debra put together clear guidelines of what foods to eat when, as well as a list of common symptoms associated with the various introduction foods. I'm about 2 weeks into the introductions, which puts me 2/3 of the way through the program, and I'm feeling great and getting to know my body much better. Debra also puts together a great weekly newsletter with health tips and interesting factoids. She even gave Full Well a sweet mention in this week's issue. You can find information about it, or get in touch with her, at her website.

Now that I've tried this elimination diet, I'm curious about some others I've heard about. Being me, I'm sure I'll be doing research in the coming weeks, and you can expect to see what I find out here. When the diet is over, I'll also post my reactions (or not) to the different foods that were reintroduced. So far, though, I haven't discover that I react to anything I really love. Whew!

No comments: