Monday, August 25, 2008

Pause

Over the weekend, I decided to practice something I find quite difficult. Saying no, particularly to making plans. I've been busy lately, to say the least. My beloved DD has been known to call me Type A+ Squared. I can't say I'd have much of an argument to refute that; I live by my calendar.

And sometimes it's just plum overwhelming.

Which is why I'm now trying to make the concerted effort to let my calendar be an aide, not the rule book. I have a tendency to fill up any white space in my calendar, sometimes with things I don't even want to do. Then, when something I would love to do comes along, I often have to say no because I'm either already booked or just plain old worn out.

This weekend I tried to embrace the white space. I didn't schedule a workout. I resisted the urge to offer my cousins a free night of baby-sitting (sorry La -- next time!). When my sister said she was going to be at a bar I've been dying to check out, I said no thanks. Instead I came home early on Friday, had a blissfully lazy Saturday morning -- complete with decaf soy ice coffee (I know, I know, what's the point right? I never thought I'd say it, but I'm a convert) and the New York Times -- a great afternoon complete with reading in the park and shopping with friends, and a Saturday night spent assembling my new bookshelf, organizing my books, and cleaning the apartment. It wasn't wild, it wasn't particularly social, and I didn't work on a single one of my three health things. On Sunday, I walked all over the city getting delicious, healthy food, and then met up with friends for a drink. Which turned into an outrageous and hilarious bbq until much too late on a work night. It was great.

I love knowing what to expect and what I need to do, but sometimes it feels really good to loosen the reigns a bit and just do whatever feels right in the moment.

How does a Type A+ Squared girl handle an insight like this, though? By scheduling "time off". It's a start, right?

No comments: