Friday, August 15, 2008

Reintroduction: Alcohol

I reintroduced alcohol this week. I should probably have chosen something else to reintroduce, like nuts or seeds, but I chose booze. And it was wonderful to be able to sip a gin gimlet in the park while listening to a free concert with some friends. And I loved talking to my family last night while we sipped a delicious pinot noir.

I did not love how I felt when I woke up this morning, though. Sluggish and bloated and just a little less vibrant than I had been. Does this mean I'm going to quit drinking all together? No. I'm not a saint, and I'm not really one for extremes. Which means maybe no more taking a sip of Bluecoat Gin right from the bottle...


Where to go from here? Back to my dear old friend moderation. Will I have a glass of wine tonight when we go out to dinner for my dad's birthday and toast his move back to Italy? Absolutely. But my goal -- and this will be a challenge -- will be to have one glass. OK, maybe a glass and a half. Knowing that I want to feel great when I wake up in the morning, though, is going to help me do that.

Additionally, I'm taking preemptive measures today. I know tonight will be rich with family, love, and laughter, not to mention the food and wine. As I lead up to that, I'm focusing on a raw vegan diet for the day. I was late to work because I was making lots of great juice, and I filled up every bottle I have with juice or filtered water. I also rinsed some cherry tomatoes and cut up a cucumber in case I really feel the need to chew something during the day. We'll see if this strategy works.

No comments: